Established in the year 1995, the department of mechanical engineering has excelled in its infrastructural facilities keeping pace with the latest development in technologies. The department is accredited by the National board of accreditation and is backed by professionally experienced and highly qualified faculty and supporting staff. More than 600 students have enrolled in the mechanical engineering branch. The department has been producing excellent results with distinctions in the Anna University exams consistently and has an enviable placement record. PG course (CAD/CAM) was introduced in the year 2009.
Our students are actively associated with industries through various real time projects, in-Plant training and industrial visits with organizations like ISRO, ASHOK LEYLAND, FORD, HYUNDAI, IGCAR, TVS, NLC, TAFE AND L&T. The Association of mechanical engineering has been regularly conducting seminars, workshops and guest lectures by eminent personalities in various fields of mechanical engineering. In a regular interval of time, the department is conducting international conferences in the fields of energy and manufacturing. The department is ranked II in all India level in CII-AICTE survey of industry linked technical institutions 2013. A well established department library has a rich collection of technical books ranging from basics to higher level reference materials. Besides, the department library also houses CDs and journals related to mechanical engineering. The department is equipped with state-of-the-art equipments and has well developed laboratories in the related fields. The CAM lab is equipped with two sophisticated production CNC machines worth Rs. 37 lakh, purchased under the MODROB scheme and a co ordinate measuring machine (CMM) worth Rs. 20 lakh, purchased under RPS.
DEPARTMENTAL INITIATIVES AND ACHIEVEMENTS
- The department won ‘Best department award’, five times out of the total 13 times for procuring highest success percentage in the university examinations.
- A special R&D facility on bio-fuel has been established recently in the department. One of the projects titled “Fabrication, automation of LMD centre using PLC” has won the coveted INAE national award.
- The department has signed MoU’s with leading industries like Mahindra & Mahindra, CFCT, CWET, WETWO Engineering Pvt. Ltd, KK Precision components Pvt. Ltd, Madras Electroplaters Pvt. Ltd, and KLAS Pvt. Ltd.
- AICTE and DST fund many projects for the department in the area of solar energy, bio fuels and alternative fuels etc. Various other projects based on renewable energy sources, automation and material sciences, design & analysis and bio fuels are being funded by ISTE and TNSCST.
- SAE INDIA – COLLEGIATE club organizes guest lectures, training programs and industrial visits for students and staff to keep them updated on the happenings in the industry.
- The vehicle designed and exhibited by the department students at the ‘SAE BAJA 2011’, a design competition held for all terrain vehicle in Madhya Pradesh won the safe vehicle award and the Chairman’s award.
- Students of our department have participated and presented their papers in international conferences held in countries like Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, UK and Dubai.
- Projects like Fabrication of knee prosthesis for the physically challenged, speed alarming system in automobile, design and fabricati8on of tricycle for the physically challenged by replacing rotary motion with reciprocating motion have won first prize in the project exhibition organized by TNSCST (Tamil Nadu state council for science and technology). The project solar photo-voltaic (SPV) based on cold storage system for rural has won the best project award from the Tamil Nadu Government.